Ditch Authorization and General Information
All property owners who want to pipe a ditch closed must have a valid township permit. The size of the pipe and the number of catch basins necessary to complete the work shall be determined by the township Road Supervisor. The township will not pipe a ditch closed for the property owner. This work must be performed by the property owner or a private contractor. The township’s standards and the specifications for the work must be strictly adhered to by the property owner. Failure to meet the township’s standards will result in the removal of the pipe by township work forces. All associated costs of this removal may be charged to the property owner.
STANDARDS AND SPECIFICATIONS:
- Pipe size shall be determined by the township Road Supervisor
- A catch basin shall be installed every 120 ft of pipe.
- A clean out shall also be installed for every sixty (60) feet of pipe.
- The number of catch basins shall be determined by the township Road Supervisor
- The materials for the project must be approved by the township Road Supervisor
- The installation must be inspected by the township Road Supervisor before the pipe is backfilled. Failure to have the installation inspected may result in the township removing the pipe.
- Catch basins shall have a minimum of four (4) square feet of opening (2×2 grate)
- Clean out shall have a minimum of one (1) square foot opening.
- Every ditch must have a 6” inch swale below the berm of the road for water drainage to the catch basin or cleanout.
- Water cannot backup on the roadway or berm (this is just cause for pipe removal).
The property owner will provide double walled, smooth lined polyethylene plastic pipe ONLY and all other necessary items for the installation of pipe.
MINIMUM DIAMETER FOR THE PIPE WILL BE 12 INCHES
The property owner shall provide one of the following types of catch basins, and all necessary items for the installation of the catch basin.
- Precast concrete catch basin / or clean out
- Concrete block catch basin / or clean out
- Plastic polyethylene catch basin / or clean out
The property owner shall be responsible for all maintenance of the pipe and the catch basins. If the pipe is not properly maintained by the property owner, it will be removed by the township work forces.